In the Pacific Time Zone (PST), the Moon will be full at 6:45 p.m. on Tuesday, August 20. With this Full Moon, the Sun in Leo will be in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Aquarius. To further clarify how this Full Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 29° of Leo and 29° of Aquarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most impacted by this Full Moon’s presence.
Some people may find that this is a time when their creativity and enthusiasm are at an all-time high. Others may find that they experience sudden ideas or insights that lead to ingenious changes in their lives. Still others may experience this Full Moon as a highly social time when they are able to find a good balance between individuality and collective concerns.
However, some people may have been experiencing a breakdown recently. The old way of living no longer works because you are experiencing new aspects of yourself and your life. You are giving birth to a new you, and birth is often a painful, messy process. But this is where real growth occurs! And the time of the Full Moon may be a time when we move through that breakdown toward a breakthrough.
Many powerful aspects, configurations, and planetary movements provide for a rich, albeit complex energy in the coming days. Astrologically speaking, this is a very active time!
- A few hours after the Full Moon, Jupiter makes its first of three exact squares (90°) to Uranus. Squares always represent “turning points.” Jupiter is about expansion, enthusiasm, and knowledge. Uranus is about change, originality, and humanitarianism. We are being challenged now to think outside the box and come up with innovative, win-win solutions. Luckily, on Wednesday, August 21, Jupiter forms the first of three exact trines (120°) to Chiron, which will provide us with the emotional intelligence and intuition to heal old wounds and share our gifts with the world in new ways.
- On Thursday, August 22, the Sun moves out of dramatic Leo and into pragmatic Virgo. And the next day (Friday, August 23), Mercury follows the Sun into its home sign of Virgo. This transition from Leo energy to Virgo energy could be seen as a retreat from boldness, but its purpose is to take the Lion’s heartfelt impulses (Leo) and put them into material form (Virgo). Minds grow sharper now, and we can more easily find a balance between discernment (higher expression of Virgo’s energy) and hypercriticism (lower expression of Virgo’s energy). Our focus will likely be more narrow now, and we may become interested in skill development and self-improvement. Furthermore, the conjunction (0°) between the Sun and Mercury will make this a time when our thinking and speaking should be clear, although we need to watch for signs that our tongues are becoming a bit too sharp.
- Jupiter is also involved in a series of five cardinal grand crosses that will occur between now and spring 2014. A grand cross (AKA grand square) occurs when there are 2 oppositions (180°) and the 4 planets involved in those 2 oppositions are equidistant from each other, resulting in 4 squares (90°). All 4 planets are in cardinal signs, which means new starts and action! Many of us will likely see changes in many different areas of our life (e.g., family, home, partnerships, social institutions). I like to think that grand crosses are like a mobile that you might see hanging over an infant’s crib. If one of the 4 objects (i.e., planets) doesn’t weigh as much as the other objects (or is removed), the entire mobile goes caddywhompus. Our goal during grand cross configurations is to give equal focus to all 4 corners so that balance is achieved. This often requires some creativity. This first grand cross occurs between Saturday, August 24 and Tuesday, August 27. It involves the planets Venus, Jupiter, Uranus, and Pluto. One possible expression of this first grand cross could be finding balance between gracious social exchanges (Venus in Libra), benevolent expansion (Jupiter in Cancer), bold changes (Uranus is Aries), and responsible transformation of structures (Pluto in Capricorn). At this time, we are being asked to clarify our values/priorities and become advocates for peace/partnership. Overall, this series of five grand cross configurations will see accelerated personal and collective shifts in consciousness. We may even begin to question the rules by which we live and perhaps even our perception of reality.
- An opposition (180°) between the Sun and Neptune on Monday, August 26, may cause us to end the month on a dreamy, unfocused note. And due to a square (90°) between Venus and Jupiter the next day (Tuesday, August 27), we may find that these days are best spent doing things that don’t require much focus and that allow us to fantasize and indulge our physical senses. As long as we don’t do anything to excess, this is a great time to spend and eat a little more than usual and to take a few social risks. Taking action on these impulses is reinforced by Mars’ movement into Leo the same day. We may feel inclined to take bold action or even partake in risky behavior. It’s fine to have more confidence, but be a bit careful about doing anything that you might regret later.
- On Wednesday, August 28, a wonderfully perceptive trine (120°) between Mercury and Pluto will help us concentrate on what is truly important in our lives. The involvement of transformational Pluto with mental Mercury means that our perceptions will have depth, which could lead to unraveling many issues that have previously left us baffled. Our ability to communicate and concentrate will also be enhanced. An equally supportive sextile (60°) the next day (Thursday, August 29) between the Sun and Saturn will provide the maturity and self-trust to believe in ourselves and possibly even take steps that might normally feel too scary.
- Then on Friday, August 30, the Moon makes a series of trines (120°) to Neptune and Saturn, all in water signs. This will help us connect our emotions (Moon) and dreams (Neptune) with reality (Saturn). Later that day, Mercury forms a sweet sextile (60°) to Jupiter, which will support us in expressing ourselves more effectively than usual and in a reassuring manner. The very next day, Sunday, August 31, a wonderful trine (120°) between the Sun and Pluto will provide us with a subtle sense of personal power that can support us in making our dreams come true.
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
- Full Moon at 29° of Aquarius
- Tuesday, August 20, 2013, at 6:45 p.m. PDT
- Tuesday, August 20, 2013, at 9:45 p.m. EST
- Wednesday, August 21, 2013, at 1:45 a.m. GMT
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations